Tuesday, November 13, 2012

The Happy Day Project: A Recap!

This weekend I decided to try to do as many of the prompts from the Life Rearranged blog’s “The Happy Day Project” as I could. I really enjoyed this, and honestly wish it went on even longer than a week. It required me to go out of my comfort zone and grow on a personal level, as well as to think more about others and their circumstances and ways to brighten their lives
 

Prompt: Appreciate those in service.

My sister and I baked some really good cookies for someone I used to work with. When I saw this prompt I immediately thought of him. He finished a really long tour in Afghanistan recently and just got back from NY after the hurricane, and is one of the most genuine, wonderful people I know. His wife and children are so strong too. We gave him a card with the cookies and I was able to bring them to his house and spend some time with him and his family.


Prompt: Handwritten Note/ Treat Someone
I combined these two. Steve had been having kind of a rough day so I wrote him a note and got one of his favorite kinds of cupcakes.


The printables for the project



Treat Someone:
Operation Christmas Child shoebox collection week is coming up, so on the “treat someone” theme my sister and I went shopping for things to fill our shoeboxes with for children who would not get any Christmas gifts otherwise. This is always one of my favorite parts of the holiday season.
 
The two prompts I didn’t get to are giftcard for the homeless and blessing bags for the homeless. I still intend on doing these since there is a large homeless population around my office and school, and it’s especially upsetting now that it’s getting so cold out.
I also plan to carry this theme of brightening someone’s day beyond the week of this project. I think it’s a great way to live and you can learn so much from it... and for someone like me who is constantly trying to overcome my shyness it is a great way to be pushed out of my comfort zone.

3 comments:

Laynah said...

I've been thinking of doing something like that! Dedicate a whole day to showing appreciation amd kindness to strangers and such...that sounds so nice. I like your ideas

Anonymous said...

What a cool project! I'm gonna have to click that link as soon as I finish leaving my comment and see what this is all about!

Operation Christmas Child is something Lexie's sewing club is involved in, too. I'd never heard of it until this year, but I love the concept!

I always think about how cold homeless people must be this time of year, too. It got down to 27 degrees last night (which is really darn cold for us) and I can't imagine having to sleep outside like that, or in a place without heating. :o(

Alex Byer said...

So sweet! I love writing Craig cards; call me a sap (or a writer) but there's just something so nice about a hand-written note :)