Thursday, October 4, 2012

The Amazing Story of Olympia, My New Family Member.

 
If you know me at all, you'll know that the one thing I love above all else is dogs. My biggest passion in life is dog rescue. I'm a chairperson of the Student Animal Legal Defense Fund at my law school and want to practice animal law. You'll know that Daisy saved me and was the biggest spot of happiness in my life and that losing her this summer was the worst thing to happen to me. But you'll also know that I promised her that I'd start saving dogs in her honor. And finally my biggest dream is coming true.
 
 
Enter the newest member of my family. Olympia. Olly or Lia for short, or whatever crazy nicknames she picks up along the way. I will be picking this amazing girl up tomorrow. Wanna know why she is amazing?
 
 
 
 
She was found as a puppy in the woods, laying next to her dead mother. But the person who killed her mother and left her there didn't stop at that. They also cut off one of Olympia's paws,
And left her there to die. Luckily she was found and brought to an emergency vet.
And you know what she did when the rescuer found her and approached her?
She wagged her tail.
She had just been maimed and left for dead. She could have growled. Bitten. Been too afraid to let the woman approach. But she still just loved.
By the time she was found infection had set in and spread through her whole leg.
Her leg had to be amputated.
 
 
It's now about 7 months later and she is happy and well-adjusted, but she still has a long way to go. Her foster mom told me she's still too scared to go walking anywhere on the leash. She has a lot of trouble with stairs. But I can't wait to work with her and watch her learn to trust.
She is a snuggler and sleeps in her foster mom's bed every night. She loves the couch and giving kisses.
I can't wait to give her all the love that she deserves!
 
And, the president of the student animal legal defense fund and I are in the beginning stages of starting a project involving dog rescue and promoting the rescue Olympia is from.
And she is going to be the face of it.
 
So many exciting things to come.


6 comments:

Ana said...

Omg, it's so sad that someone would do that to a poor dog!

She's so cute!! Glad she's better now.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful way to remember Daisy! Olympia seems like such a sweet girl :)

Alex Byer said...

You are a wonderful lady for loving and taking in such a beautiful girl! Her story is just so lovely. Give her a big hug for me!

Anonymous said...

This is such a beautiful story!!! Awful, but with such a happy ending. It breaks my heart that someone would be so cruel to her, and yet she was still so full of love that it was her instinct to be friendly to the woman who saved her. How could anyone not love dogs? They just have the purest, sweetest hearts. Give Olympia a hug and kiss for me please!!!!

Courtney Kassner said...

What a great rescue story! So glad you have a passion for rescuing animals and that Olympia has such a loving owner now. Very sweet!

Heather said...

omg Jen I am in tears seriously. :(

the worst part is the idiot who did all this is still probably running free.... I will just have to focus on the positive and that is that Olympia seriously hit the fur momma jackpot with you. SHe will be so blessed and I am so happy for you both!!!!! What a wonderful way to let Daisy live on and shine through you both!!!